Saturday, February 28, 2009

Family

Recently I have reconnected with two cousins I don't think I have seen since I was about 3 years old.
One of them I emailed from time to time and both of them have exchanged holiday cards for a few years.
We reconnected on Facebook. My cousin on the other side "friended me" and I finally got around to answering it. It's been alot of fun getting to know everybody again.
My family is so small and as many of you know, a bit dysfunctional.
I've realized in the past few years I can't or won't beg any family member to be a part of my life. I've been thru so much with my health and if they choose to ignore that, then so be it.

I have so many wonderful nurturing people in my life and they have replaced those that can't deal with my MS.
To quote myself and my shirt product line "I don't have cooties, I have MS" I am not contagious.

Last night as I was going to bed, my Blackberry indicated a message and although I was so tired I decided to check it.
It was a message that I had a donation to my MS Walk team. So, as tired as I was, I logged onto to our computer and found that my cousin and her husband had made a donation. I almost cried.
Thanks a bunch. you have no idea what that means to Mark and I.
It's not about the money but about the support. Something I can't seem to get from my immediate family and something I am often ashamed of.
I spoke to my sister the other day. I left her numerous messages pleading for her to return my call. I am being overwhelmed with collection calls for her and I just needed it to stop.
Sometimes it is hard to believe I came from the DNA as the rest of them.

My husband and I still joke I was swtiched at birth. I thank God everyday for his family. I wouldn't have made it this far without them, especially his mom.

After the events of this week, life reminds us how precious it is and short it is.

Thanks to all of you who have supported us and continue to support us. One of these days I will walk the MS Walk right beside my team. Mark my words !

Have a sunny day, no matter where you are !

Cathy
www.TheMSShoppe.com

Tell a friend !

1 comment:

Libby said...

cathy, this hurts to read...i'm so sorry. it really sucks that the people you thought would be right beside you, well, they disappear. my family was there as much as i let them be, my husband's fam was there totally...unfortunately, my husband ran away a couple years ago with his girlfriend. and my daughter got married that year too...she gets along with his girlfriend...because they're only a few years apart in age...i'm still trying to deal with this shit...