Thursday, June 11, 2009

President Obama in Green Bay

The President just stopped by Green Bay, Wisconsin about an hour away from where I live.

I watched his town hall meeting on TV ( even though I had a zillion things to do)
It was kind of cool he chose Green Bay to visit and talk about health care.

It got me thinking just how expensive it is to have MS. I am blessed to have great insurance and believe me I know I am fortunate but I remember my insurance statement for 2007 reading
my bills totaled $101,000. It was just such an odd number it has stuck in my head ever since.

In 2007 I had surgery for cancer, a biopsy, another biopsy and then another biopsy in addition to all of my MS stuff.

There is alot I don't understand about how and who gets health care. With so many people out of work it's hard to believe people aren't gettingthe meds they need.

We need to make some changes in this country. We also need to work on research in this country to cure these chronic diseases. MS Sucks as all of us know.
If I could stop just one person from getting it, all my volunteer activities would be worth it.

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the family in my life. They all had the opportunity to help find a cure when Mark & I started a Walk MS team and yet they almost all walked away. ( pun
intended)

Support is more than a check. It is getting off your butt and walking the walk. Picking up the phone and asking us if there is anything you can do to help. Checking on me when I am home alone, with no transportation, and making sure I haven't been laying on the stairs for three days .
I realize people don't know what to say or do but I've just outlined a few options.
Please don't go thru this alone.Check on each other. Send a funny email, write a handwritten note, pick up the phone.
Life is too short. And please don't believe someone else will do it becasue they probably won't.

This week Joyce Nelson of NMSS isdoing her second Challenge Walk. I am so inspired by her.
50 miles is a heck of a long walk and here I am strugglingto do 3 miles.

Cathy
www.TheMSShoppe.com

1 comment:

Libby said...

good post! my friend, mousie, asked me once how's my ms, and i told her i loved her for even mentioning it! people don't ask youu about it, as if they don't want you to know that you have it, huh?