Friday, February 27, 2009

Support Group Member Dies in Fire

Last night it was confirmed that the person who died in an apartment fire here in town was a member of my support group.

As the co-failitator of this group I am deeply saddened by this event. My co-facilitator emailed me last night and pointed out how ironic it was that I had brought the fire department to our group to teach them this very thing. How to get out in an emergency.

I am still so grateful to the Fond du Lac Fire Department who taught us so much that day. For me, who is extremely organized, even I learned alot that day. They answered so many point blank qestions we all had about our specific living conditions including mine.

There was a death of woman who lived in Pennsylvania that prompted my urge to meet with the fire department. It had a connection to our city ( without going to into to many details and
invading this other's family privacy). When I heard of this happening I immediately called the fire department and set up a meeting.

My ride for that day stood me up and left me standing on the sidewalk so I had to walk 6 blocks in March with my walker to the hospital for the meeting. I was completely exhausted but I was determined to get there despite the irresponsibility of my ride who never showed up or apologized for that matter.

When I got there I had an appointment with the local paper for an article they were doing on me and my MS. They took my picture and a picture of the support group. They must have also changed their idea for the article.
The picture of my support group was on the front page of the paper and it prompted calls from so many people with a disability and family members of people with disabilities thanking me for educating the fire department. My response then and now is still the same. They know about us. They are here to help us. But the street goes two ways and you have to educate them.

Please please please pick up the phone and tell your fire department, police department that someone in your home has a disability. They can sit down with you and offer suggestions on how to help yourself in an emergency. They are there to help you.
Please please please give someone a key to your home. Every second counts in an emergency.
Tell your neighbors you might need help in an emergency.
Remember we have MS. In a fire the heat of the fire will cause your body not to move properly, no matter how good of shape you are in.

My condolences go out to Chris's family and friends. My support group will go thru a grieving process as well, especially in this situation.

Have a great day everybody and please talk to yourfire department! Do it for me!

Cathy
www.TheMSShoppe.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brenda Orr's tragic death in Doylestown, PA was a wake up call for so many in the MS community. It is inspirational to read that your group turned that into trying to make living with MS safer. I am sorry to read your entry about this loss of Christopher Grimes. My heart goes out to all of you.

SAFETY can never be underestimated.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/

Cathy said...

Brenda's son goes to school here in Wisconsin. This is a small town and it hit the MS community hard. That's why I brought the fire department in to speak to my group.

Libby said...

this is good to remember, cathy, thanks!